Phonological Awareness Center Games (please click the picture to download learning centre)
The Ghost (Phoneme Blending)
This game is designed to practice blending (Phoneme awareness-Creative Teaching Press).
- Print out and laminate the resources.
- Cut a small slit in the ghosts mouth (the children will slowly put the pictures through the ghosts mouth.
- The children select a picture.
- Say the word, then blend the word slowly in a GHOSTS voice.
- Repeat with the other words.
The Mystery Trip (Phoneme Isolation and Sound Matching)
This game is designed to practice phoneme isolation and sound matching on a Smartboard (Phoneme awareness-Creative Teaching Press)
- Secretly choose a mystery sound for example /b/. Explain to the students that you are going on a holiday. Only items that have the MYSTERY sound can be packed.
- Place the the item with the mystery sound in the suitcase (balloon, butterfly, bee). Say the item clearly so the children can hear the mystery sound. Ensure the children don't say he mystery sound.
- Continue packing the suitcase until everyone has identified the Mystery sound.
Syllable Race Car Game (Getting Ready to Read - Jo Fitzpatrick)
- Print and laminate the resources.
- Place the race car track on the table and the syllable cards upside down in the pile.
- The student picks up a card and claps the syllable.
- The student places the card on the correctly numbered car (1, 2, 3, 4)
- Keep going until all cars have a card on them.
- The person who puts the last card on the vacant car takes all the cards and the next round starts.
- Count the cards at the end to see who has the most cards.